Stepper motor driver boards base?

Hi everyone,

The stepper motors I’ve bought come with driver PCBs. I’d like to use them instead of using a sangaboard, Is there a suitable STL for a base to allow this? I’ve both Nanos and Unos in my motley collection of microcontrollers.

I’ve nothing against the Sangaboard (though I’ve yet to find a schematic for version 2) but I just want to use what I have without milling a Sangaboard.

Though I must admit the standard driver boards are a pain to use in a permanent installation. That is, one without DuPont cables…

Stay safe,

Steve

There is another thread on here, where someone designed that. I’ll look for it.
Edit:
It was @Orgeman that designed it. A link is in this post.

William,

Thanks! I believe I’ve found a source of motor driver boards with a better shape. They should be here on Sunday. I’m a bit old fashioned as I don’t want a rats nest of DuPont cables which will inevitably fail. I was considering removing the driver chips and the motor connector from the standard boards and putting them on a perf board. The chips are easy because they are socketed but I’ve had no success with desoldering the motor connector without damaging it.

Thanks again, it’s a really interesting project and I’ve already been asked to make one for an MSc Microbiology student.

Regards,

Steve

Nice :slight_smile: I completely agree on the dupont connector rats nest! It’s worth noting that the motor connectors are also on a standard 2.5mm pitch, so you can use regular male header pins as a readily available alternative. It’s quick and dirty (and non-locking) but Sangaboard v1 did it, and it worked just fine for development purposes. I don’t know if Valerian ever uploaded the v1 PCB design (which was just a Nano, two ULN ICs, and header pins for the motors) but he hand-etched it on a single sided board.

I’ve bodged a solution using a Nano and three controller boards as shown in the picture. This is just for testing. I’ve tried two types of controller board, neither is breadboard friendly as the pins are above the board not below. I don’t really want to design and mill a PCB until I’ve got everything working. I’ve a few ideas for modifications to the illumination stage which I want to add which aren’t on the sangaboard. Also I want to be able to run it from batteries so I need voltage regulation on board and a choice of inputs.

So far it’s been fun. Today’s task is to figure out how to resolve the preprocessor statements in the Arduino code to tell it the appropriate pin settings. But that’s another topic.