My custom OFM prototype

Hi,

Prologue: Months ago I danced with the idea of making OFM a product. After severals delays, parts shortage, and lockdown-part-4-Snyder’s-cut-extended-edition-collector’s-special (still going on); I finally almost finish. I hope you guys like it, all inputs are highly appreciated.

Mounted stage with large gears, brass screws. On the right is the illumination arm.

The general idea is moving all electronics to the back. Which lead to moving the illumination related parts to the mounting plate (the original one are too large and interfere with sample clips).

This is the top mounting plate. You can see the cutouts for main optic, o-ring mounts (the feet are not necessary now). On the top is illumination mount which will be bend upward. By carefully control power and speed of laser cutter I was able to made 2.5D cut.

20210814_125726

Bended acrylic plate and illumination arm. Aluminium sheets is to control the heating area.
The slot cut is to control the bending axis. I did 2 cuts on the side which made is rather wobbly, next version will have just one in the centre and wider as well.

Close up shots on the arm and slider. Might be changed to a single 3D-print part later.

Mounted

Some idiot forgot to buy correct size screws! Hence, the thick spacers. Also forgot to rotate camera mount out of the way!

Close up shot on the o-ring mount. The bottom of stage is extended 5.5mm downward (the same as feet dimension).

O-rings mounted.

Topview.

Please excuse the wiring mess and scrap mount plate I found. It will be much better once I got a Sangaboard v0.4 or enough part for a makeshift one.

The layout is supposed to be like this. I’m using Waveshare’s CM4 carrier to move the ports to one side and camera connector to the edge. There is enough space for accessories as well. I have not decided the details yet.

3 Likes

Very nice.

Is the body printed in two pieces to get this? With the usual body with the actuators printed on the build plate and then a 5mm ‘ring’ as a stand-off.

1 Like

No, by the power of 3D printing, it’s just one piece with the bottom cross section extended. @r.w.bowman helped me export the bottom cross section of the stage then I made custom supports that’s easy to remove. The support is also much wider than the part with M3 nut and screw so it printed much more stable too (the one with breakaway stabilizer, what’s it’s called anyway?).
I attached the stage and support in case anyone want to take a look. I’ll compile all the files once I’m closer to final design.

The temporary stand-offs are just there because I didn’t have correct mounting screws. The camera also extended rather long downward and I have not come up with a solution yet. Hence extra standoffs and weird bottom mounting plate.

Bottom_support.STL (415.5 KB)
delta_stage_KI_FDM.stl (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

That’s a neat approach - can you just slice the support STL in any old slicer and it will work? If so, it would be super to know how you generated it. The need to sit everything on the print bed is an annoying limitation, so it’s definitely worth knowing if my assumption that it’s a fundamental limit is not right! I also like what you’ve done with the acrylic base - we have avoided relying on laser cutting for the core design (because a lot of people have printer but not laser cutter), but a custom plate definitely makes a lot of things better when you come to turn it into something more product-shaped.

@samuelmcdermott I don’t remember if those 6 mounting holes ever made it into the master branch? @Hades_Corps Samuel has now added mounting lugs that would allow you to screw the delta stage down from the top side of the plate. That might be helpful for maintenance, depending on how easy it will be to access screws on the underside of your plate.

1 Like

That’s a neat approach - can you just slice the support STL in any old slicer and it will work? If so, it would be super to know how you generated it. The need to sit everything on the print bed is an annoying limitation, so it’s definitely worth knowing if my assumption that it’s a fundamental limit is not right!

Thanks. As long as you can remove the support later, it’s fine to put the intended printed material anywhere you like.
Any slicer of your choosing should works. I never trust the auto-generated support, especially with part with this much bridging areas so it’s built-in. I intended for my variant to be printed between 0.3-0.35mm nozzle and 0.16-0.2mm layer height.
I made the supports in Solidworks, then edit everything in Netfabb, sliced with Simplify3d (such heretic of me as none of those is open-sourced).

I also like what you’ve done with the acrylic base - we have avoided relying on laser cutting for the core design (because a lot of people have printer but not laser cutter), but a custom plate definitely makes a lot of things better when you come to turn it into something more product-shaped.

Thanks again. All logos are on the bottom as well to give it a more clean look and also easier to be cleaned. The plate can surely be convert to a 3D print part as well.
Laser cutter and DIY bending machine is a powerful combo that often get overlooked, but that’s a topic for another time and place.

I don’t remember if those 6 mounting holes ever made it into the master branch?

Those have always been there, along with a 7th screw hole under the optic mount. I spent 2 days with openscad but cannot convert the tri-circle function back to actual circle so that was done manually. Tri-circle is not easy to thread tap with cheap hand taps.

Samuel has now added mounting lugs that would allow you to screw the delta stage down from the top side of the plate. That might be helpful for maintenance, depending on how easy it will be to access screws on the underside of your plate.

I saw them, the holes outward from o-ring mounts are for the lugs (this build was based on v1.1). They won’t render without -microscope variable which, in turn, also render the illumination dovetail mount. Right now it’s not that important so I didn’t do it. Without the lips from leg part, the 6 mounting holes on bottom are currently for keeping the top plate align with the base. They are required on a 2 mounting plates design.
The optics currently protrude downward too much hence the need for 2 plates. My current ideas for next integrations are:

1. Use reflective optics but to bend the camera 90°. This is prefered as it move all electronics backward, reduce the height by ~20mm. Require extra prism or mirror → Increase cost.
    This also require me to spend many more hours with openscad so the progress has been slow.
  2. Invert the optics to topside. This shift centre of gravity upward so it’s not elegant at all.
    Side note: There another topic about new mount design for optics. I think it’s more important to make it the same for illumination → less parts in total, more compatible between different configurations.
  3. Extend the base downward another 20mm. This require larger o-rings, increase printing time by hours. In general, absolute terrible choice.
  4. Keep the 2 plates and use some simple extrude part instead of the standoffs.

Independent from those I’m also looking into:

• Use springs for less ‘sticky’ motion from the o-rings.
  • Maybe just keep the flexure and use some miniature linear motion systems for smoother motion and position feedback.
  • Maybe sale a package to convert cheap manual microscopes to OFM system. Many vet clinics in Asia have those already. They already have imaging optics so maybe a simple adaptor for Pi camera is enough?
2 Likes