Video plugin and camera settings

Hi guys,

Is there any news related to implementing video recording?
Also, how can camera colour settings like saturation be modified?

Hello,

Video recording is currently done through an extension. You can download it here and save into /var/openflexure/extensions/microscope_extensions on your microscope. It hasn’t been used extensively, so let me know if there are any problems through an issue on the repository or in the forum!

Thanks a lot, will give it a try as soon as I have some time.
Do Inhave to do anything else or it appeeas in the app by itself as a tab?

No, you should be able to put it in the folder and it will appear as a tab automatically. You may need to restart your microscope for it to load in.

Hi, I gave the video recording plugin a try and it works for me! I don’t see the video show up in gallery, so I used filezilla to transfer it. It would be helpful to find a way to add it in to the regular gallery for easy download… Although I was thinking it would be helpful to have it move around to collect a larger area, I would image this would not be very helpful from the vibration and lack of focus. Thank you for this plugin!

Vince

Hello!

Great, glad you find it’s working well. Yes at the moment the gallery only shows images, but thanks for the recommendation, I’ll add it to the to-do list!

The videos are stored in a seperate folder in the micrographs folder. I normally find winSCP is a useful tool for transfering them back to a Windows PC.

You are able to move the stage around manually whilst recording, but at the moment it’s not possible to do an automated scan whilst video recording.

Hello I installed the extension as explained on gitlab but I can’t see the plugin access in the left menu.
Have you a hint about this ?

Hi @bseven, I believe it ought still to work - just to check, if you log in with SSH or a terminal and type:

ls /var/openflexure/extensions/microscope_extensions

do you see video_extension.py in that list? If you downloaded a zip file or cloned the repository, you’ll need to move just that Python file into the folder, otherwise it won’t be found.

Also, it is worth looking in your logs to see if the extension installed properly; if it’s found, but can’t load (e.g. due to a missing dependency) this should show up in your logs, which you can view with ofm log. It’s easiest to run this after restarting, so that anything relating to the start-up process is near the end of the log.

Hi,
Yes the python file is properly copied in the microscope_extensions folder.
I tried to search a solution in looking into the ofm log and it appears that ffmpeg-python library isn’t loaded because the log throw a ModuleNotFound Error.
I am thinking this appears because of the virtual environment with python version differs from other versions installed on the pi.
I tried to pip3 install ffmpeg-python outside the virtual environment with ofm desactivate but it didn’t solve my problem.

Hello,

Did you run:

ofm activate
pip install ffmpeg-python

This will install the required package within the server’s virtual environment.

1 Like

yes I tried this method first as explained here but unfortunately I had the ModuleNotFound Error so I tried the other method I wrote earlier but I’m still stuck with the same error…
I am wondering why python didn’t found the library.

Hi
I solved my problem, it was my fault… I was mistaken when I firstly tried to install ffmpeg-python library. Instead of pip install ffmpeg-python I typed sudo pip install ffmpeg-python.
Installing without privileges elevation make it work, the extension appears in the left menu.
Sorry for the inconvenience!!!

2 Likes

well done! typing sudo will cancel out ofm activate and so you’re installing the library into the wrong environment - as you say, installing it without sudo (and after ofm activate) should fix it.

The currently-in-development new extension mechanism should fix a lot of these problems, and give clearer errors about them as well… This is planned for v3, i.e. the next major release of the software, which I hope will be in a prerelease “before too long”.

1 Like