Test your printer assembly instructions

The docs say that printing is done without support.
Does that apply to the first step print of the test as in first ?
It seems it has some air bridges that would be a miracle to print correctly without support.

Also can it be printed in ABS for increased strength?

Hi Adrian,

All the parts, including the one you’ve linked, are designed to be printed without supports. The bridge does look like it should be hard to print, but should print fine with no supports

Although its designed for PLA, I don’t see any reason the design shouldn’t work in ABS - if the test part you’ve linked prints well, then the rest of the design should work fine. If you do test it out, please let us know how it goes, more information about material options would be great.

Is there a specific reason you’re looking for increased strength, ie increased load, longer life, etc?

Cheers
Joe

Hi Joheminan,

To my surprise it printed fine including the bridges. The print was done in ABS.
I intend to use the microscope in a wet lab.

ABS is an overall better material except for being harder to print with. Generally it’s the same price as PLA. It’s much stronger which is always a plus and can be processed after printing using acetone vapours for a better lamination and even aesthetics.
I’ll see what we’ll get.

Re bridges, they are not a problem for most printers as long as you have your part cooling fan enabled. I’m not sure about ABS, but with PLA it solidifies basically as soon as it leaves the nozzle, as long as there’s enough air blowing on it.

I was able to print the main body in ABS. The underneath of the top round part has some not so good looking strands to begin with but the overall quality looked better than most of the images of the microscope I could find on the internet.

I had a delamination after the print that I glued with ABS and one more when snipping one of the leg ties. That was also repaired without issue.

Have the microscope hinges ever been tested for endurance? That means a large number of flexing actions over a long period of time?

The microscope printed in PLA has been tested for several months. The actuator screws are actually the first thing to fail if they are not oiled at the beginning as in the instructions. The flexures did not fail.
I am sure there is a post on the Forum, but I cannot find it.

1 Like

While not necessary, using support enforcers directly under the middle of these bridges makes them much flatter. It’s important not to include any part of the flexure elements.