A new alpha! v7.0.0-alpha2

Hi, I’m building the new version and really like some of the improvements, for instance the cable slots. Great job, I am constantly amazed about all the thinking that went into the device and the nice little details you have thought of. Triangular holes for the screws - how cool is that?!

Now I have a few suggestions for the stage:

• The connecting blocks at the upper flexure joints could be a bit taller, so that the nuts for the stage would slit into their slots more easily. Now it was a bit of a hassle to get them in because of the height difference.

• The slide holder is really good idea and very good implementation I think, even parameterized to easily modifiy it. Great job again! Now I would prefer to have the slide aligned along the X and Y axis of the stage, e.g.for using a calibration grid or look at other periodically spaced structures. If the stage had another 4 mounting holes at 45°, one could mount the slide holder in either orientation. Unfortunately I am not proficient enough in OpenSCAD to provide a nice solution for that.

• The central hole of the stage could be round (perhaps the outside contour of the stage, too?), so one could even have a rotating slide holder add-on. Actually, I also like the previous design with the sample riser, which makes the microscope more modular. That way, one could swap different sample holder add-ons without having to reprint the entire body.

• The overall shape of the microscope looks awesome, compliments for the elegant design! Just for mounting it on a breadboard or attaching other things, a rectangular base or straight vertical mounting plate would be nice. Perhaps as an option? (I have been trying to hack something together, so far its not looking good, besides my poor implementation…)

1 Like