Upright microscope prototype

@pristinscope It is not necessarily better, just different and will be appropriate for some applications. There are benefits to an inverted design in keeping all of the mechanics together below and only having the lightweight illumination high up. This is at least partly why the Openflexure microscope is designed from the start as an inverted microscope. If used with reflection or fluorescence optics an inverted design is particularly neat with nothing at all above the stage. However as @MilliRowland says there are some samples that are best not turned over to view from below. There have been a couple of threads here and elsewhere asking whether it is possible to make an upright version. I also had a thought of a particular project where I would need to observe the same whole leaf specimen from both sides simultaneously: with the upright version there is conceptually the possibility of placing a reflection optics module both above and below the stage. @Ram, I had only seen the potential to make optics changes easier when I looked at the latest version today.

I was slightly doubtful about the stability with the heavy optics module cantilevered over from the illumination mount. With the modifications @MilliRowland has made it seems fine. An aim is to make it work with the standard Openflexure Microscope body. It does benefit from a third screw on the triangular illumination mounting plate, which is now planned to be included in Version 7. Other than that it needs three new parts, the extra z-actuator, a spacer and a different condenser module. As @r.w.bowman says, it is at early draft stage, and it is not decided whether it will be a tested and supported option.

1 Like