Raspberry Pi basics?

Thank you for making a high-precision scope accessible to everyone! In that regard, we’re confident with 3D printing, but new to the Raspberry Pi. What Raspberry Pi basics does one need to operate the OpenFlexure scope? For example, would we need the Raspberry Pi with a pre-installed operating system? Will a Mac OS work?..etc. Could anyone suggest a tutorial on RP basics for operating this scope? Thanks!

1 Like

The Raspberry Pi has its own version of Linux. The great thing is that a Raspberry Pi is a standard and standalone computer, so the Openflexure microscope software is put together for us including the operating system and everything. You just put the image onto an SD card - R Pi forums will give details of that. Then you just pop the SD card into your RPi and when you switch it on it wakes up knowing it is a microscope.
Once you have got that, you don’t actually need to go into the workings of the Pi at all. You can run the microscope using the client on the RPi desktop, or you can use it remotely from a computer of your choice.

1 Like

Hi @Marisa, welcome to the community.

I was about to write some more detailed instructions on here, but instead I have updated the relevant page on the website. So hopefully it is more clear for the next person.

You will be able to write our operating system to the Raspberry Pi with your Mac. I am not sure if the client software is Mac compatible though. But if not you can control your microscope with a browser.

@jc2450 Do we have a guide for getting the microscope working on MacOS?

1 Like

Great! Sounds like this is only a few steps to plug and play…I’m sure I’ll need to look up some specifics on this site and others, but now I’m more confident about the process. Thanks much for your input. ~Marisa

Thanks so much for updating the website with the Raspberry Pi information. I’ll check it out. Wish this newbie good luck!

2 Likes