Excessive color saturation in saved full-resolution images

Hello!
I brought the default and full size pictures to the same size.

Is it possible to somehow get rid of a full-sized image from neon shades? Thanks!

Do you mean the coloured fringes at the edges of features in the sample?
I suspect this is some combination of refraction of the light by the sample, and colour artefacts from the demosaicing process (where the Bayer-patterned images are turned into colour images). I’d be curous how much of it is “real” (i.e. you’d see it if you used eyepieces) and how much is a debayering artefact.

Given that your sample is probably transparent and more or less colourless (nice diatoms, by the way - you have a really cool variety of shapes), you could eliminate colour fringing entirely by using a monochrome image - probably the most artefact-free way to do this would be to extract just the green channel from the raw Bayer data. We’ve published a script that will extract the raw data into a TIF file, and with a bit more effort you can add back in the background-correction included in the JPEG images.

1 Like

The two columns of images look the same to me?

WilliamW

maybe these examples will be clearer to you))

Notice the color bar at the bottom of the image
I think that this is the result of a different algorithm for low and full image resolution.

It is clear in those ones yes, The low resolution image at the bottom has a nice colour balance. The high resolution one above has green highlights throughout and a purple bar across the bottom. It almost looks as though the green image is mis-aligned. As Richard says, it could be a result of demosaicing process. If it is a real optical thing I would expect to see green/magenta fringes with opposite sense on opposite sides of the image. They would also change with focus. That happens a lot with high contrast scenes for normal cameras, but this looks different.

Richard, thanks for the answer, unfortunately, I can’t take the advice yet, I just looked quickly at what is written on the link. Yesterday, friends presented the Zeiss planachromat 40x but which was infinitely corrected with an M25 thread. I spent a lot of time reworking the model for my sizes and thread (I use openscad for the first time).
I will definitely try your advice, but first I need to finish the backlight (there is no condenser lens, now I light it for contrast through the hole) and try a different white temperature LED, the spectrum may not combine with the Bayer filters on the camera.
but it will all be later - today the motors arrived))

When you have a moment, it would be great if you could post a full resolution JPEG with bayer data (there’s a tick box in the software for that). The file size should be ~14Mb. It would be interesting to look at the raw Bayer data in case it tells us anything interesting.

If you’re using an infinity-corrected lens, we have recently discovered that it needs a taller microscope stand - there’s a revised STL on the forum in another thread already (apologies if you already found this, I can’t remember who was on that thread). I will try to get this added in to the instructions soon.

Forum did not accept the largest file…
archive 3 images in different resolutions default, resize and full with raw

Thanks for the link to .stl, but have not decided yet whether I will leave this lens in the design or not, in my opinion the magnification with it is much lower than with 40x 160

1 Like